Image and video processing and manipulation can benefit from geometric approaches, whether applied to the spatial, temporal or color domain. We use differential representations and variational modeling for various applications in image and video editing, visual media retargeting, image-based rendering and more. For example, we design special warping functions for images and video that are optimized to preserve specific features, such as user-defined areas, salient content, faces, camera and object motion and temporal coherence. Our recent areas of research in this domain include reuse of visual data for creative design via guided texture synthesis or sub-pixel accurate transfer mapping, video-based 3D reconstruction, image and video retargeting for display devices of varying aspect ratios and color spaces, image-based scene navigation.
Check out our publications page.
- Image Content Retargeting: Maintaining Color, Tone, and Spatial Consistency, CRC Press
- Digital Representations of the Real World: How to Capture, Model, and Render Visual Reality, CRC Press
- See our teaching page to get an overview of the classes offered on the topic of image and video processing
- Modern Approaches to Media Retargeting, ACM SIGGRAPH ASIA 2012 course
- Visual Media Retargeting, ACM SIGGRAPH ASIA 2009 course